* Communicate quickly to a lot of people via SMS texting
* Cancel a scout meeting with short notice
* Remind parents to bring something to the kindergarten
* Inform people about last minute changes to something
* Easily manage an SMS alert system using Google Spreadsheet
TO-DO list for future versions:
* Increase the max length for messages to 480 characters (currently it is about 100)
* Make it possible to send messages to a subset of people
How to configure it:
* Install SMS Distributor on a phone.
* Create an online Google spreadsheet with the phone numbers that should receive SMS messages. See example here.
* Click Share/Publish as web page, and start publishing.
* Click Share/Publish as web page, and get a link to the published data. Select TXT (Plain text) and get the link. See example here.
* Enter that link into SMS DIstributor as the URL for the list. That's it. You don't need to have the application open - it will activate itself automatically in the background every 15 minutes to download a new list, or every time there is an incoming SMS, in order to redistribute it if needed.
* Configure a keyword. It could be "all"
How to use it:
* Send an SMS to the phone that has the app installed, where the first letters are "*keyword ". For instance, if the keyword is "all", you could write: "*all Remember that tonight's meeting is earlier than usual. Eric.".
* Watch for incoming SMS messages, to get a confirmation that everything has been distributed.
Phones that can use this app:
* All screen sizes
* Android 1.6 and newer.
* User account on Android Market must be a teenager or older. The app has been disabled for pre-teen because it can generate costs when sending SMS messages.